Sunday, February 8, 2009

Winter Blues

This post is for all of the people suffering from Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). 

Where I live, today was an overcast and hazy day. I took a walk in one of my favorite places here, but it didn't do anything for me. I began to think about other places I like to take walks. Instead of going through "light box" therapy for your SAD treatment, I am inviting you to take a visual walk with me through one of the most beautiful places I like in Hawaii. BUT you have to promise me that if you ever go to Hawaii and stay on Oahu - you have to visit the Windward Side of the island. Yes, Waikiki is wonderful for tourist-y stuff, but I promise that a drive along the Windward Side on up to the North Shore will be well worth your time. Besides, I stay exclusively on the Windward Side because driving into the "city" (Honolulu) makes me anxious and gives me a severe case of hives.

The long narrow photographs are panoramic views. Click on any photograph for a larger, more intense view.

The first few photographs are in a cemetery. From that point, you can have a view of the ocean as well as the Ko'olau Mountain (which is over 30 miles long). Although I don't have any photographs, the sunsets are beautiful there.


Hawaiian Memorial Park Cemetery in Kaneohe, Hawaii
Ko'olau Mountain
A view toward the mountain
A view toward Kaneohe Bay

The next photographs of the Ko'olau Mountain were taken from a boat in Kaneohe Bay.

Coconut Island (Gilligan's Island) with a view of Ko'olau Mountain in the background.



"Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word happy would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness. It is far better take things as they come along with patience and equanimity." - Carl Gustav Jung

2 comments:

auntieB said...

YAY! Love it! I'm so happy to say that i've been there. with you.

Keemster said...

Me, too. I want to go back, soon.