Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Spring in Winter

It was a beautiful sunny day today. I could have sworn it was spring. Hard to believe that it is still winter. This is just a tease because the weather forecast is calling for colder weather by this weekend. Guess I chose a good day to take off from work and spend time with old friends. After I spent the morning exercising with a friend, I rushed to meet another for lunch. After lunch, we decided to go to the park because the weather was so nice.

"Do you want to walk or sit?" he asked.

"Walk," I replied - afraid I wouldn't know how to handle the awkward silence I knew would ensue. Most of the time I welcome silences, but this was an old friend that I've just recently been talking to again. Wondered if we still had enough in common to still be friends.

We walked and talked. Discussing our separate lives. Yes, there were silences. Not so awkward, as I had feared. Appropriate silences. Silences made as if to take a break from conversation to absorb the scenery on this beautiful day. Before I knew it, we had walked around the park three times. I stopped to stretch my calves. 

"Do you want to walk some more?" he asked.

"Sit, I want to sit..." I was tired because prior to meeting him for lunch, I had already completed a three and a half mile hilly walk.

"Why didn't you say so earlier?" he asked.

"I wanted to walk," I replied.

We sat and talked some more. Before I knew it, two hours had elapsed. We began walking back to our cars. His hand brushed mine, accidentally. The next thing I knew, we were two friends holding hands walking back to our cars. In silence. It was a comforting feeling. We hugged and got into our cars and drove our separate ways. A nice ending to a beautiful afternoon.


No comments: