Friday, January 8, 2010

"Well, Y'all Look Alike"

Okay, I don't even know if I could find a pic that would go along with this story, but it kind of cracks me up every time I replay it in my mind. And maybe anyone reading might not find the humor, but after years of being on the end of racially ignorant comments, I have to add this interaction.

The other day I was walking down the hallway towards my office. I smiled and greeted two of the housekeeping staff who were chatting at a cleaning closet, as I passed by. At the end of the hallway, walking towards me, I saw one of the techs walking towards me with a great big smile on her face. This is how our interaction went as we passed by each other:

Tech: "Let me ask you, do you be knowin' what they be sayin' when they be talkin' their language?"
Me: "What the f-heck did you just say..?"
Tech: (Lauging) "I guess you really don't be understandin' what I be sayin'!"

Sooo...aside from the grammar that totally would have curled my hair had I not put so much product in it, here's the actual funny part of the whole story:
  1. I'm third generation Japanese (sansei) in America. The only words I know in Japanese are from the song Mr. Roboto by Styx, and a few other words not usually found in proper Japanese conversation--my fave word being bakatare. (Okay, so I'm fudging a little, I do know more than that, but I thought it would add a little humor.)
  2. One of the women at the closet is Korean (primary language Korean, speaks some English--a little broken).
  3. The other woman she was talking to is Filipino (I think her primary language is Tagalog, speaks English well, but when with the other Filipino workers, occasionally speaks Tagalog).

...Wait, there's more:

Later that morning, the tech comes walking towards me laughing. With a big grin on her face, she proudly announces her discovery loud enough for everybody to hear, "I know what I was doing this morning--I was talkin' that ebonics!"

3 comments:

Alicia said...

oh, pat is such a trip.

auntieB said...

I love this story. Pat is a trip. I think you oughta get a picture of all four of you for the blog... I'll take it.

Keemster said...

I think Pat has been a great addition to our department. She really tries hard to take responsibility for her work.