Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Power Of Silent Conversation

I met a friend for coffee this morning. It's one of my favorite things to do. Catching up over a cup of coffee, tea, or whatever else I desire. It can be so relaxing from the stress of the work week.

Sometimes during conversations between individuals there is a pause in the talking. Some people react to this by struggling to say something to break the silence. This silence is sometimes referred to as an awkward pause. Personally, I am comfortable with the silence--just sitting and watching the person or persons. Silent observation. Taking in everything they have to offer. It helps me get a better sense of who they are.

The friend I met this morning once told me he would get nervous and used feel as if he had to say something to fill those awkward pauses. One day he asked me why I would just sit and look at him when the conversation would get quiet. I shared with him the link at the bottom of the page. It's a blog post written about the role of silence in interactions and pretty much explains what I get out of silent conversation. He understands now that the pauses are not from lack of stuff to talk about.

Click the blue link below:
The Power Of Silent Conversation

Posted using ShareThis

No comments: